First Sunday of Advent
Beginning the Church’s liturgical year, Advent (from, “ad-venire” in Latin or “to come to”) is the season encompassing the four Sundays (and weekdays) leading up to the celebration of Christmas.
The Advent season is a time of preparation that directs our hearts and minds to Christ’s second coming at the end of time and also to the anniversary of the Lord’s birth on Christmas. The final days of Advent, from December 17 to December 24, focus particularly on our preparation for the celebrations of the Nativity of our Lord (Christmas).
Advent devotions including the Advent wreath, remind us of the meaning of the season. Our Advent calendar above can help you fully enter in to the season with daily activity and prayer suggestions to prepare you spiritually for the birth of Jesus Christ. More Advent resources are listed below.
- About Advent Wreaths
- Blessing of an Advent Wreath
- Blessing of a Christmas Tree
- Commentary on the Proper Prayers of Advent from the Roman Missal
- Blessing of a Christmas Manger or Nativity Scene
- Lectio Divina for Advent
- Liturgical Notes for Advent
- The “O Antiphons” of Advent
- Advent 2018 Calendar
- Calendario de Adviento 2018
- Family Advent 2018 Calendar
- Calendario de Adviento 2018 Para Familias